Mental Health Matters
Cognition24 has chosen Growing Resilience in Teens (GRIT) as its chosen charity for 2023. This is a local Hitchin-based charity, carrying out vital work to support the mental health of young people in our community.
About Growing Resilience in Teens (GRIT)
The GRIT programme is a unique approach to tackling mental health issues in teenagers suffering from low self esteem, anxiety and low mood which manifests itself in harmful behaviour. Each programme takes 12 teenagers through 12 weeks. The activities and therapies are designed to promote resilience by building confidence, self-esteem, proving social support and giving a sense of purpose.
The first six weeks involves a structured programme which the teenager must commit to. They will be assigned a mentor who is there as a point of contact and to meet when needed. The first six weeks comprises:
- Introduction to the programme, the activities and meeting the mentors. Each teen will be assigned a mentor who will act as a point of contact throughout the programme.
- Weekly group non contact boxing sessions
- Weekly group yoga sessions
- 2 sessions of group based nutritional therapy
- Individualised therapy – the most important factor in determining the success of therapy is being able to form a rapport with the therapist. If a teen is assigned to someone this may not be the case. We therefore aim to empower the teen to engage with a therapist in a form of therapy that they feel comfortable with in order to get the most out of it. They then have the option of continuing with this going forwards into Phase 2.
To learn more, or donate, please visit the GRIT website.
In June 2019, Vicky Bradford our Head of Marketing completed the Yorkshire Three Peaks challenge in under 12 hours and raised a healthy £1000 for GRIT.