MFA: Protect your customers’ data – and your reputation
The confidentiality, integrity, and availability of your data is vital to your business. At Cognition24, we understand just how important it is to protect this data, as does Salesforce, which is introducing multi-factor authentication (MFA) to secure it.
As of 1st February 2022, Salesforce customers will have to enable MFA to access Salesforce products. MFA is free to Salesforce customers and we recommend that you start planning for this change now.
What is MFA?
MFA is a secure authentication method designed to provide the highest level of security and protection for customer data. Users are required to prove their identity by supplying two or more pieces of evidence (or “factors”) when they log in. One of these factors is something the user knows. For example, their username and password. The other factors are verification methods that the user has in their possession, such as an authenticator app or security key. By tying user access to multiple types of factors, MFA makes it much more difficult for phishing attacks, account takeovers and other common threats to succeed.
The types of attacks that can damage a business and exploit consumers are increasing, as the global threat landscape constantly evolves. With businesses transitioning to support people working from home and in remote work environments, it’s never been more important to implement stronger security measures. Salesforce is confident that MFA is one of the most straightforward and effective tools to enhance login security and safeguard your business and data against security threats.
What is the MFA requirement?
All Salesforce customers must enable MFA for users who log in to their products (including partner solutions) through the user interface. Alternatively, you can fulfil the MFA requirement by using Single Sign-On (SSO) for your Salesforce products, but enabling MFA for your SSO solution’s Identity Provider is strongly recommended.
Customers can enable MFA at no extra cost for these Salesforce products:
- Products built on the Salesforce Platform, including: Sales Cloud, Service Cloud, Analytics Cloud, B2B Commerce Cloud, Experience Cloud, Industries products (Consumer Goods Cloud, Financial Services Cloud, Government Cloud, Health Cloud, Manufacturing Cloud, Philanthropy Cloud), Marketing Cloud–Audience Studio, Marketing Cloud–Pardot, Platform, Salesforce Essentials, Salesforce Field Service, and partner solutions
- B2C Commerce Cloud
- Marketing Cloud–Datorama
- Marketing Cloud–Email Studio, Mobile Studio, and Journey Builder
- MuleSoft Anypoint Platform
MFA is being developed for all other Salesforce products. The company is committed to delivering this well before the MFA requirement takes effect on February 1st 2022, to give you time to implement it successfully.
Where can I get more information?
For help with implementing MFA, you can visit:
- Salesforce Multi-Factor Authentication FAQ
- Introduction to Salesforce Authenticator (Video)
- Set Up Single-Sign On for Your Internal Users (Trailhead)
- MFA – Getting Started Trailblazer Community.
How can Cognition24 help?
Salesforce is continually developing, and we understand better than most that this brings certain challenges. Keeping up to date with improvements, enhancements and changes can feel like a full-time job. A Salesforce Managed Service from Cognition24 takes on the responsibility for you. We’ll manage your environment and if required any connected applications. Contact us today for more information.